Friday, February 21, 2014

Sicily - extraordinary different!


I've been many times in Sicily, about four times. I never felt that I've seen enough.
Somehow strange, I always feel that I have a strong connection with this place. Sicily is welcoming, it's tasty, it's full with frenzy sometime and blissfully quiet other times. I love to see the old style architecture, the glory and the combination of cultures.
From Palermo to Catania, to Agrigento, Etna or Eolian Islands...I love every experience that made me understand better that Sicily is so extraordinary different.
I will never forget the happy atmosphere in our friends house, when almost the whole family gathered to welcome us, to embrace us like we were part of them too.
The amazing dinners with divine cooked pasta, the breakfast with coffee and fresh baked croissants and the afternoons when we all enjoyed the most tasty pizza - this are all sweet memories in my heart. And of course, the evenings would just not be complete without an ice cream made in Heaven.
I think quite often about Sicily, I close my eyes and a tone of memories and sensations rush to my mind. The satin blue sky and the serpentine roads from where you could see an amazing crystal clear sea, the soft wind blowing my hair and the sound of waves embracing the land...I hope I'll never forget this.
I remember how lucky I felt every time I was walking on Palermo streets, either when I visited the central part with Teatro Massimo or when I went to see the big Cathedral or to see the fish market. So much colour and history and life.
My long life friends have been telling me on many occasions that they could simply not be able to live somewhere else.
I understand why.


There is a sense of freedom here, a cult of beauty and class. I've meet such a lovely people, mannered, educated, smart and with a fine humor. I admire them and the way they keep the family and friends together. I'm truly blessed to have such friends.
Now, let's go back on Sicily landscape, as it's so much more to say...my eyes close again and I see this young girl face expression when she arrives at Mount Etna. With all the peace that surround you, there it's still a feeling of unknown, of a history part that was not yet closed.
As the steam rise from the highest parts of the giant, you start realising the vast emptiness around. The black sand stone with reddish accents and the infinite sky seem to melt on each other.
On the way back, we stop to a small family run business to try honey, olive oil with homemade bread and sun dried tomatoes. There must be a secret of this amazing food and sure enough they know it in Italy.
Catania was a very nice surprise for me. With the same old style buildings, sculptures, churches and romantic narrowed streets, everybody around me seems to enjoy what this city has to offer.
I'm still overwhelmed with memories and there are still so much I wanted to tell you, but my hand keep falling from keyboard and my eyes start  closing. It's late in the nite, well passed  from midnight so I will go to bed dreaming at Sicily. On my next post I will continue with this amazing journey. Thank you for following my blog.







No comments:

Post a Comment