Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sicily - Aeolian Islands

   I already started to tell you about my traveling in Sicily, so I better finish the story...it's a beautiful story, about a volcanic chain that attracts a lot of attention.
After few nights in Palermo, we booked a train that will take us to Milazzo. From here, we get a speedboat and reach our destination, Vulcano, in aproximativ 90 minutes.
The entire journey between  Palermo to Vulcano was nearly 5 hours, but was very pleasant. Sunny day, first class train and a lot of hopes to discover a new place - the Aeolians. 
I remember a sensation of happiness soon as I stepped on Vulcano Island. I could hear the sea giggling in the background and the sky was like a paint from storybooks, perfect blue decorated with cotton white clouds.
You could definitely remark a pronounced smell of sulf. Soft steam was rising here and there from the ground, sign that the giant is only sleeping. Few steps in front of me, a mud pond is bubbling healing energy. The mountains around looks so well. 
I stopped for few minutes and basically I couldn't take my eyes from what was around me. So detached from the busy world that we live in, so peaceful undisturbed. 
Why I didn't knew about this place before? 
How come this place exist here, in the heart of Tyrrhenian Sea and not many people talk about?

Aeolian wonderful islands. or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6feJ1yU-h0


Happy with the view, I start walking to my friends holiday cottage. This will be my home for the next ten days or so.
After few turns on narrowed streets that are almost covered with beautiful colored flowers, I arrive to my idyllic holiday home. 
Painted all in white, with old style wood blinds from outside, the cottage appearance could make you dream to Andersen gingerbread house. Simple, clean and very important for me - with a lot of character. 
This was a traditional house, even the furniture and the decorations could make you see times that are long gone. Outside, in the large garden, between palm trees and cactus plants, are some amazing deep purple flowers that spread iris like aroma everywhere. 
We had a nice shadowed terrace and an outside kitchen as well. I was delighted.
I could have stayed into a fancy hotel or a modern villa, but that wouldn't impressed me as much as this simple house.
Over the next few days we explored the Island. I enjoyed the warm sea water, that looks like a natural jacuzzi because of the volcanic activity. I climbed the mountains to see and treasure as much as I could. 
From the top of Lentia, I could look over the islands and even get a glimpse on the eternal Etna.





I recalled again how lucky I am to see this beauty and I feel more rich then when I first come here. 
On few occasions we had dinner or lunch at the restaurants around the island and the food was brilliant. Freshly cooked fish and sea fruits, soft bruschetta with herbs and balsamic dressing...magnifique. 
But, all those delicateses could not compete with the the aromas of sun ripened tomatoes, onions, fresh basil, mouth melting cheese and perfect sweet cherries. This where products from local family farms and they were just incomparable with anything else. 
On this dream holiday, I visit the Lipari Island too. Very clean and pretty, this is the biggest Aeolian island of all . With well maintained shops and visitor points, it's a pleasure  to see such a good combination of touristic and social life on the island. Small kids are running on very narrowed streets, under white clothing lines till an adult, usually an affectionate grandmother is calling them for treats. 
Outside, on the benches, some elderly gentleman and long life friends are playing backgammon and discuss on a loud, cheerful voice.
At midday, a clear bell noise will fill the air and people sights will often move to Cathedral. 
I left Lipari after few hours of exploration, by walk and by car. I'm so glad that I came here.
There will be many memories to treasure  and the Aeolians are just a wonder. I had an amazing couple of days here, it's sunset and I'm going back to the little gingerbread house. A glass of cold white wine on the terrace and the silent song of the garden it's what I need to be happy. 
It's late again and I'm getting tired, but over the next few days I will continue sharing my travel journey and my story.




No comments:

Post a Comment